I can still have some faith in my profession that major newspapers still believe in freedom of the press, despite the fact that all us journalists someday will work for the same company.
Newspapers are reporting that so far, no WMDs. I was beginning to wonder if the bigger papers were just becoming too chickenshit to report past the party line. You see, when they kiss their sources' asses, it makes it that much harder for those of us at smaller papers to not kiss our sources' asses. Regular folks watch all those Washington press corps news conferences on Fox News and CNN-- and and then wonder why real reporters don't ask such softball questions or just take their words for granted and report them.
In truth, those conferences are like television sitcom versions of reporting. They remind me of Philosophy 101 classes in TV shows about college where they always mention Schopenhauer, but they never actually talk about him.
I always laughed at that particular TV conceit, because as a real-life Philosophy major, I never read Schopenhauer or very many of the other Continental philosophers except for Nietzsche. Schopenhauer's name must be just really fun to say and looks really impressive on a blackboard.
No comments:
Post a Comment