The New York Times recently had an article about people in their late 20s and early 30s in arrested development-- living at home, "saving money," and getting dinners from mom and laundry done by dad, without feeling like losers.
That doesn't describe most of my friends, though I do know some people who fall into that category. I wonder why the Times didn't mention the "I need to move" conversations that never end.
But I understand why people move back home. I have considered moving in rent-free with a relative. I wouldn't have done it so I could have more beer money and a live-in maid -- though I'm sure that would be the inadvertent result. It's so easy to go from, "Ooh, thanks for dinner!" to "Oooh, what's for dinner?"
While reading the article, I had this feeling that this is going to be the story of my generation, like the stories of when "all women stayed home and raised kids." When women of that generation told me about being a secretary or a teacher in order to help support her family (or to support her family), I'd always think, "Funny, no one ever mentioned that...."
In 30 years, when I tell some younger person that I and most of my friends didn't move back home after graduating from college, will she believe my story or the one about the generation that wouldn't let their parents stop raising them?
No comments:
Post a Comment