It was close. Oh, so achingly close. And you'll never guess who won. But, to retain the suspense, first I'll give you the answers to the quizzzz.
1. It's a place in time where the years behind are piled up high. "Someday?" by Concrete Blonde
2. I got my head checked by a jumbo jet. "Song 2" by Blur
3. Oh, fuck. Got stuck. You lose. Tough luck. "Don't Let Me Go" by Michael Penn
4. I spent 17 years trying to save my soul. I spent 23 more down in the hole. "Get Out of This House" by Shawn Colvin
5. The shares crash, hopes are dashed. "Eminence Front" by The Who
6. If no one calls and I don't speak all day, do I disappear? "Single" by Everything But the Girl.
7. The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care. Right? "Self-Esteem" by The Offspring
8. I forget what eight was for. "Kiss Off" by The Violent Femmes
9. She said I'm so obsessed that I'm becoming a bore. Oh, no. "Laid" by James
10. I know that you don't care but I want you to know. "Hash Pipe" by Weezer
11. I know I love you cuz I'm watching my weight. "Striking Matches" by Squeeze
12. Now I find from week to week the sentence sticking fast. "(Get A) Grip (On Yourself)" by The Stranglers
13. Maybe I'll jump start counting on your battery. "Don't Let Me Go" by Michael Penn (Obviously, this is the song that's repeated.)
14. I can't wallow in your reckless, restless head, a slave to all things useful to you. "The Comfort of Strangers" by Mike Figgis featuring vocals by Skin
15. Drank too much and I said too much and there's nowhere to go but down. "Disappointed" by Morrissey
16. I'm exposed and it's no big surprise. "Just a Girl" by No Doubt
17. Today was the going to be the day but they'll never throw me back to you. "Wonderwall" by Oasis
18. It's a coup d'etat in your imagination. "Figment" by Michael Penn
19. I saw a face in the shower door, a cowboy smile came and faded. "Ghost of a Texas Ladies Man" by Concrete Blonde
20. Lend me some sugar! I AM your neighbor! "Hey Ya!" by OutKast (Jeff, you were so very close on this one.)
21. Light the sky and hold on tight, the world is burning down. "Sunny Came Home" by Shawn Colvin
22. Tonight it's love by the fire. The wind plays over the coals. "If I Didn't Love You" by Squeeze
23. I can tell you know what it's like: the long farewell of a hunger strike. "Save Me" by Aimee Mann
24. What's the matter, babe, are you feeling sick? "Buddy Holly" by Weezer
25. Did I mean something? You know I'm such a fool for you. "Linger" by The Cranberries
26. If they catch you slipping then it's all over, pal. "Come out and play" by The Offspring (I still like my own lyrics better, even though "stapping" is not a word.)
To make this challenging, I picked a few obscure songs, but most of them are pretty accessible. At least, I thought they were. I would have been really surprised if anyone got the song by Mike Figgis, and no one did. What did surprise me was this photo-finish victory. It was so achingly close. In second place was Mike with 25.5 points. Mike got nine songs and artists and three free points by guessing Michael Penn for all the ones he didn't have an answer to. That's also a good tip for passing the SAT.
Without further ado, our grand prize winner is Michelle, who squeaked to first place with 26 points! She got 10 songs and artists and one point for getting the artist right. Congratulations, Michelle!
Thanks to everyone who participated. It was fun. For me, anyway. I hope it was for you too.
No comments:
Post a Comment