17 July 2004

Posthumous pop

I was surprised to hear that the lead singer of Sublime has been dead for some years. I never heard of this band until a few years ago, and commercial radio keeps playing "new" songs by this band. I guess they were also lucky enough to play the timeless music of ska. I thought they had just done the musical equivalent of locking into a good hairstyle for a decade. It never occurred to me that the guy had died.

The posthumous success of Brad Nowell and jazz singer Eva Cassidy, has started to make me think it's not too late for my own musical career. I better start recording, I guess.

Conversely, I thought Martha Davis of the Motels had been dead for years. She's actually alive and looking good. (I hope I can be that rockin' when I'm over 50. Her face sort of reminds me of a hard-edged Kate Bush.) I remember hearing that she had battled cancer, but I never remembered hearing that she had recovered and commercial radio never plays anything new by the Motels. I just put two and two together and came up with five. Interestingly, Martha was about 31 and a single mother of two when the Motels made it huge. As someone significantly older than Lindsay Lohan and Hilary Duff, I am relieved that I still have time to set the world on fire. Martha's so cool.

2 comments:

stennie said...

That guy from Blind Melon is dead, too. Just so you know.

Bet said...

You can get crackin' anytime you want, but don't die on us, please.