27 August 2004

free recipe

I had the best of intentions of cooking chicken thighs in a white wine sauce with mushrooms and (maybe if I felt like it) lemon juice, but I just ran out of time. So, instead, I looked at the shriveling cherry tomatoes on my countertop and created this, which turned out to be surprisingly yummy. It's got your protein, your pasta, your tomatoes, what else is there?
Shriveled Tomato Pasta
a half pint of shriveled cherry tomatoes
(optional)canned sardines or tuna packed in oil (vegetarians substitute olives)
thin spaghetti
salt to taste
olive oil (if you don't use sardines)
two cloves of garlic
Boil one or two servings of spaghetti in salted water to the package directions. While the noodles are boiling, mince the garlic and cut the the shriveled cherry tomatoes in half. When noodles are al dente, strain the water, reserving one or two cups of pasta water just in case. Immediately put the empty pot you cooked the pasta in back on the burner, and set it to low. Pour about one tablespoon of sardine oil or of the olive oil in the pot. When the oil is hot, toast the garlic until light golden. Then add the tomato halves and saute for a minute. The tomatoes should be starting to mash up. Add the fish or the olives and saute for a minute more. Then throw the spaghetti in the pot and toss with the tomatoes. Add the reserved pasta water as necessary. Season with fresh ground pepper and enjoy!

2 comments:

Flipsycab said...

Hmmm. . .if I still ate tuna fish, I might try this one, but I have a hard time with the word "shriveled" when used to describe a food dish. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but the word makes me think of testicles.

Yummy! Great! Delicious!

bitterspice said...

Well, see. That's why I'm not a chef. The names of my recipes would not be appetizing.

See, that's the contest I need to have. Name This Recipe! Now, how do you say "shriveled testicle" in Italian?