26 August 2004

i got the power!

One of the neat things about my job is I get to ask for things that most people don't think of asking for -- such as a tour of a nuclear power plant in the midst of decommissioning. It was a lot of fun, looking at the place where they used to keep the spent uranium and the control room, among other things. Now, the radiation levels there were very likely safe (I'll find out when they mail the results of the little clippy thing that measures radiation to me), and I did not need to mail my clothes to Hanford. At least I don't think so.

I'm actually a little sad that they'll mothball this power plant, lock the doors and just check it for water damage once a year. The tour was a little like Alcatraz, and I think a lot of people would find it very interesting.

It's too bad that many people wouldn't want to tour an ex-nuclear power plant. Even if it did shave off a year or two of my life, what am I saving that lifetime for, anyway?

1 comment:

Bet said...

I think I'd much rather have a tour of an ex-nuclear power plant than one of a nuclear power plant in full bloom. Then again, I'm a coward, so....

Bet