27 January 2005

because all the cool kids will be doing this

I got this off of Flipsycab's page and, because 1) I'm working on a story that touches on old high school experiences and 2) I went to my high school reunion a scant three months ago, I couldn't help filling it out.

What year was it? 1994

What were your three favorite bands or musical artists? Squeeze, Michael Penn and Ned's Atomic Dustbin. The first two all still up there actually.

What was your favorite outfit? I had two: a white cotton button-up shirt with poofy three-quarter sleeves and massive ruffles along the collar and cuffs, a maroon knit vest, and paisley red flares with clogs or a calf-length black velveteen skirt with ankle boots, and either a lace or velvet "top hat" (which I was not allowed to wear at school) --- think The Partridge Family; or a black tank top with a dark brown vest or maroon knit vest, and an ankle-length "patchwork" lace and flower-print skirt with ankle boots with one of the top hats.

What was up with your hair? Long, black and straight, like Pia Zadora in Hairspray.

Who were your best friends? Kristine, Geordan, Stefan and Roxanne.

Where did you work? Didn't have a job until the summer after high school. Then, for six weeks, I was a general office slave for a certified nursing assistant school (I filed, straightened desks, swept the floor and answered phones). Then, the next six weeks, I helped desktop publish their textbook.

Did you take the bus? Nope. I drove first, a dark blue 1977 Pontiac Firebird. Then, when that started having car problems, I drove a 1987 Honda Civic hatchback, which the title described as gold, but which I described as tan.

Who did you have a crush on? Stefan, then Geordan. Contrary to popular belief, I was so over my junior year crush by then.


Did you fight with your parents? Yes.

Who did you have a CELEBRITY crush on? Glenn Tilbrook. Oh, you wanted a CELEBRITY? I have no answer, then.


Did you smoke cigarettes?No.

Did you lug all of your books around in your backpack because you were too nervous to find your locker? Are you crazy? Why would I be nervous to find my locker? I was a SENIOR, I was a GODDESS!

Did you have a 'clique'? I went to a very cliquish school, but I hung out mostly with the brainiacs and the drama geeks. The computer geeks formed a very small subset in those days.

Did you have "The Max" like Zach Kelly and Slater? "The Max?" Is that some sort of hangout? We went to 24-hour Lyon's Restaurant (which we pronounced in the French way to class it up). When we got tired of Lyon's, we would hang out and print bumper stickers with our own sayings on them at Kinko's.

Admit it, were you popular? There were so many cliques, it's hard to say that there was an "in-crowd." Or maybe I was so uncool, I couldn't didn't recognize who the in-crowd was. There were a couple of popular "golden-kids," but they were also 1) really smart and 2) really good looking and 3) really nice.

Who did you want to be just like? I was just too cool for hero worship. Seriously.

What did you want to be when you grew up? I thought I was going to end up being some intellectual, maybe a literature professor.

Where did you think you'd be at the age you are now? Just out of grad school, getting my PhD. Or doing something fabulous in a great city with great public transportation (well, I'm doing something fabulous, anyway).

Editing post-script: I had to update this post. I wish that Blogger hadn't gotten rid of the "preview" mode. Maybe it hasn't, but there a few Blogger features that don't work with my ancient computer and the browser. Feh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA - your Glenn remark slayed me. I'm still slayed, in fact.

Bet

Anonymous said...

this is a test.