31 March 2005

taxing the spam?

No, not the e-mail annoyance. The canned meat product.

AP reports that Washington state is considering boosting its ailing state budget by including Vienna sausages, chili, and other canned meat products as one of the sins that that they are going to tax. The state will ding the producer, not the consumer --- but don't tell me that prices will stay the same. As someone said in that article, it seems like a tax on the poor. Many of those who rely on canned chili and corned beef are either not doing well or working so much they can't cook. (I can't figure out from the article whether my personal favorite, sardines, are going to get a sin tax too.)

Someone at the state obviously has been talking to my doctor about my cholesterol. I admit that sometimes I have an itch that only Spam can scratch. (Maybe that comes from living in Hawaii during two very formative years.) Luckily for me, I live on the edge of the state, and I can smuggle tinned meat across the border.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, man! That's a crime - wonder if tuna's on that list? Taxed tuna is a reason for protest.

Hey, that's not a bad idea. Someone needs to write a song parody of the old Kingston Trio favorite, "The MTA." It could involve you getting caught trying to smuggle Spam across the border.

Bet