Well, it looks like Wednesday is the day.
I know the poll didn't work, but people who managed to catch me live online or who let me know in the guestbook told me that Wednesday works best for them. Which is the day it was originally. OK, then.
Well, this week I've got an excerpt from Dylan Thomas' 1953 radio play "Under Milk Wood." I have never heard this produced on the radio, but it's occasionally performed live. If someone does a production of this in your town, go out of your way to see it. I saw it once as a one-man play. I still think this is a beautiful play, but sometimes I can't rid my mind of the image of a man talking to himself in falsetto during the next scene.
The people in the scene are Cherry Owen and his wife, Mrs. Cherry Owen.
MRS CHERRY OWEN: Remember last night? In your reeled, my boy, as drunk as a deacon with a bit wet bucket and a fish frail full of stout and you looked at me and you said, "God has come home!" you said, and then over the bucket you went, sprawling and bawling, and the floor was all flagons and eels.Good luck! you have until Tuesday noon-30 to play! After that, then rewrite theater moves back to Wednesdays.
CHERRY OWEN: Was I wounded?
MRS CHERRY OWEN: And then you took off your trousers and you said "Does anybody want a fight!" Oh, you old baboon!
CHERRY OWEN: Give me a kiss.
MRS CHERRY OWEN: And then you sang "Bread of Heaven," tenor and bass.
CHERRY OWEN: I always sing "Bread of Heaven."
MRS CHERRY OWEN: And then you did a little dance on the table.
CHERRY OWEN: I did?
MRS CHERRY OWEN: Drop dead!
CHERRY OWEN: And then what did I do?
MRS CHERRY OWEN: And then you cried like a baby and said you were a poor drunk orphan with nowhere to go but the grave.
CHERRY OWEN: And what did I do next, my dear?
MRS CHERRY OWEN: Then you danced on the table all over again and said you were King Solomon Owen and I was your Mrs. Sheba.
CHERRY OWEN [softly]: And then?
With all these time changes, I'm beginning to feel a little bit like a network...
[note: this post edited for grammar. thank goodness we can edit.]
No comments:
Post a Comment