Yes, it's time again for rewrite theater. This week, we focus on one of Jane Austen's lesser known novels "Persuasion." I actually like it better than Pride and Prejudice. Let's see if I can remember the plot without looking at the book. The lead character, Anne Elliot, is a sweet, giving, easily-taken-advantage-of spinster (of about oh... 28 or so) who is only likeable because everyone else in the book (especially her family) is unbearable. Her Navy boyfriend from wayback returns to town, this time as a captain in the merchant marines, and she starts to feel flirty again. And then other guys -- including a rich dude and a moody, poetry-reading dude -- start to notice her,too. If this sounds real soapy, it is. And it's great. And I'm sure it doesn't take a genius to figure out how it turns out.
The movie was pretty good, too, though it was a little strange that the filmmakers seemed to be using shaky, NYPD Blue cam for shots of people seated at dinner. Also, the two gorgeous people in period clothing making out on the cover of the video weren't in the movie.
So, someone asks her very vain father for his nerdy milquetoast daughter's hand in marriage, and he freaks out.
MAN: Yes, my proposal of marriage to your daughter, Anne, has been accepted and I respectfully, sir, request permission to set a date.So, what would you like to see happen next? Who would you like the man to be?
SIR WALTER ELLIOT: Anne? You want to marry Anne? Whatever for?
No comments:
Post a Comment