Lately, when I wonder whether I still have the guts to do my job properly, I ask myself, am I OK with the naming of the The Cubs Fan in the media? I am always relieved when the answer comes back that yes, it's my (not always easy) job. My simple explanation is that people who make history, even accidentally, should be named.
If we didn't name him -- who was in a public place, trying to grab a very public baseball -- where would we draw the line? Do we say that Cubs' chances were actually fouled up by an anonymous coach was sitting on his butt and would would not pull a nameless pitcher who obviously was tiring out?
And if the guy is really like 26 or 28 or whatever, he probably got a lot of crap growing up because of his last name. How do you think you'd do if Nancy Cartwright rapped to your name? Steve Bartman will survive this.
No comments:
Post a Comment