05 January 2004

Fuck Da Snow
The weather around These Parts have been in the 20s and snowing, which is unusual for These Parts. It's pretty and all, but my body ain't built for the cold. I'm not just saying I don't like it, I'm talking about extreme physical discomfort, where my limbs feel like they're on fire unless covered with three layers of insulation. (My doctor recommended Benadryl to take care of that. So, I'm allergic to the cold?)

I probably wouldn't complain if I could just sit inside with my hot chocolate, venture outside to build my snowman and slide down a hill for a little while, and then go back inside for more cocoa. But, newspapers don't have snow days, and they come out no matter what the calamity. In fact, it's probably better, the worse the calamity.

Deadlines don't care that my car is 150 miles away from where I am because my parking brake froze solid. Deadlines don't care that I had to drive a crappy little rental car to get to work, and it's been parked there for three days, because the city's roads are paved with compact ice. (On the bright side, I did get a great deal on the car.)

But, I don't think the snow has defeated me. It's at least reminded me that life is interesting with adversity. Or is that denial?

No comments: