08 April 2005

book quiz

I don't use the word "meme," because I like to keep pure Richard Dawkins' definition of his made-up word. But, I love me some quizzes, and here's one from Jim's page.

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to save?
Italo Calvino's "If on a Winter's Night A Traveler" or "Invisible Cities."

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
I'm sure I have, I just can't think of who that might be. I think one of my first posts on this site explained wanted to be a (male) character in a computer game, but that isn't the same thing. That's what happens when all the books you read have anti-heroes. They're interesting to read about, but you wouldn't want to date 'em.

The last book you bought is?
Non-fiction: Suze Orman's new book, I think it's about young adult's finances. It's quite good. Fiction: "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby.

What are you currently reading?
Eek. Nothing at the moment. (Unless you count Suze Orman's book, which I am in the process of re-reading.) I am one of those readers who will forget to sleep and eat when I get into a book (and so, I finished High Fidelity in two weekdays, Paul Auster's Book of Illusions on one day off, etc.), so I have to make sure that bills are paid and dishes are washed before I start a book. Damn, I need a personal assistant.

Five books you would take to a deserted island.
A deserted island might be an interesting place to take Daniel C. Dennett's "Darwin's Dangerous Idea," (or Darwin's "Origin of Species," for that matter) but here are my real five.
Ulysses by James Joyce (my favorite book)
Moby Dick by Herman Melville (my second favorite book)
The Complete Works of Plato
The Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook (no explanation necessary)
The big ol' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Omnibus (I hope that isn't cheating. Well, actually, I don't care that it's cheating.)

No comments: