15 April 2005

thinking of england, just before i step out and finish my taxes....

I thought of this as practice for living in England, a place I've always identified with. Not that I have imminent plans to leave. But with our rights being slowly eroded away by the manipulation of public sentiment and the open threats on our system of checks and balances (it's just not a good idea for the House Majority Leader to threaten to make the judiciary "pay" for not falling in line), a member of the free press and her fiction-writing boyfriend must make contingency plans. Sometimes I feel that I would face Guantanamo if/when the government finally comes cracking down on the free press, but I don't think boyfriend is so keen.

I am actually a little surprised at this outcome, but I'm not familiar with everything on the Liberal Democrat's platform. I mean, I even think that the Brits should keep their monarchy and that Oxford and Cambridge just wouldn't be the same without those upper class twits-in-training. I mean, can you imagine the future King of England going to UCL because his grades weren't good enough?

Who Should You Vote For?

Who should I vote for?

Your expected outcome:

Labour


Your actual outcome:



Labour -14     
Conservative -27     
     Liberal Democrat 48
     UK Independence Party 26
     Green 35


You should vote: Liberal Democrat

The LibDems take a strong stand against tax cuts and a strong one in favour of public services: they would make long-term residential care for the elderly free across the UK, and scrap university tuition fees. They are in favour of a ban on smoking in public places, but would relax laws on cannabis. They propose to change vehicle taxation to be based on usage rather than ownership.

Take the test at Who Should You Vote For

Just for fun, you can compare my answers to said fiction-writing boyfriend.

2 comments:

Lily said...

I published my test results in my blog, as I rather like the graphics that they use to show the answers. As I expected, I was barely anything at all. If you ever think US politics are bad and people of one party or another tend to be knee-jerk reactionaries against the other guy, you should try living in the UK. We look positively staid and rational compared to them.

bitterspice said...

Actually, I tried living in the UK, about eight years ago --- during an election, no less. I liked how their politics, at least to me, seemed to be more about weighing the merits of an idea, rather than the fearmongering and sticking to a dogma that American politics is all about. That's something we could do without. I mean, the Brits at question time will insult each other's mothers and question in which direction one's soul is headed, but in the end, that's not what the vote is about. And national American politics give me the impression of signing off on the dotted line rather than face the wrath of the other party's national campaign money, which makes me a little nervous. So.... how are we staid and rational again?