Bob Costas refused to guest host a Larry King Show because the subject of the show was Missing White Woman Natalee Holloway. It's nice to know that even on TV, there are journalists who remember that they're journalists. Some journalists and bloggers feel that a way to address the disparity in the media coverage of pretty MWW is to increase the coverage of MMW (Missing Minority Women), such as the bloggers in Philadelphia who demanded coverage on the disappearance and death of Latoyia Figueroa, who is black and Hispanic.
I admit, it is nice to see blogger-volunteers step forward to take place of the media-savvy family who are always related to the MWW who make the news. I like people who are kind to strangers. But I don't know that that covering additional non-news is the answer to the media circus that became Natalee Holloway and Laci Peterson's private tragedies. Other than to the folks in Philadelphia, Northern California and wherever Holloway is from, these disappearances still aren't news. There is plenty of real news to cover, and non-news eats up space and resources. That's why what Bob Costas did is so cool. Tabloid journalism is a drug. Just say no, folks.
Time to read
5 years ago
3 comments:
I say "Go Bob."
This whole Holloway thing has pretty much gotten up my nose, and I feel bad about that, but I can't help it.
I once worked with a woman whose sister was murdered, and their local police almost immediately determined it was "black on black" crime and stuck the file in a cabinet somewhere. It was hardly investigated, and of course, never solved.
I think of that everytime I see a missing pretty cheerleader smiling at me from the TV.
I say "Go Bob."
This whole Holloway thing has pretty much gotten up my nose, and I feel bad about that, but I can't help it.
I once worked with a woman whose sister was murdered, and their local police almost immediately determined it was "black on black" crime and stuck the file in a cabinet somewhere. It was hardly investigated, and of course, never solved.
I think of that everytime I see a missing pretty cheerleader smiling at me from the TV.
Sorry, that was me.
Bet
Post a Comment