22 August 2005

The lonely world of a PMS non-believer

It's lonely being a PMS-atheist. I know to some people, this post will sound like the ramblings of a raging, hormonal woman, whose craving a scoop of ice cream for breakfast. Despite my moody weekend of sitting on my ass, cramming anything in my mouth that doesn't move, and generally feeling sorry for myself, I can't believe in PMS.

It's difficult for me to buy into the fact that for about 20 days, there's me, and then for 10 days, there's Bizarro-world me, who is cranky, moody and gives in to my dear friends Ben & Jerry. As strange as it might sound, I want to accept responsibility for the sweet tooth and the near-to-crying-jag emotions that are not part of my daily experience.

I don't think I'd go quite so far to argue that PMS is a myth pressed upon us by a profiteering medical industry (for the only reason that I doubt they can think that far ahead). But I think they have something to gain for perpetuating it. What if we all collectively said, "My period is not a problem. I'm cranky, but I'm still in control." I wonder how many pharmeceutical companies and advertising agencies that would affect. (Hm. Since I don't actually have a TV, and have trained myself to ignore magazine advertisements, I don't actually know.) The thing that bothers me most is the implication that something is wrong and needs fixing in a normal woman's body.

I just can't see how fluctuation of my moods any different from a really lousy day in the office, a pre-recorded telemarketing call or a stressful day in stop-and-go traffic on the freeway. They all suck, but that's life. Thirty percent of mine is a lot to surrender to forces that are not my own.

2 comments:

Lily said...

I somewhat agree, but I also somewhat beg to differ. Hormones, especially female ones, are very powerful and are designed to fluctuate. Having manipulated my hormones both with and without medication, I am stunned at how much effect they have on health and mood. There was one medication I took once that so manipulated my physical state that I both feared for my life healthwise, and my sanity from profound depression. I stopped taking the medicine and within a day, I was completely normal. It was like a switch was flipped. I was doing this with a pill, but it's also happened on much smaller scale without medication. Sadly, the shifts are "normal", and some monitoring of one's hormonal state, either chemically or with other coping mechanisms, is warranted.

All that being said, what I agree with you totally on is the element of explanation and excuse foisted upon us by both the pharmeceutical companies and the "it's all about me and my problem" mentality. You are always responsible for your actions and behaviors. When you have commitments, you carry them out. Even in the worst part of my hormone-induced stupor and depression, I got my ass out of bed, went to work, spoke to people civilly (although my inner brain was screaming at them all to shut the hell up and get out of my face), and basically functioned. I never once allowed the possibility of saying "i'm sorry, it's all about me now. My hormones are out of whack, so you must all do what I say and excuse any inexcusable behavior because I'm not responsible. It's not my fault -- so I don't need to regulate myself." Horsehockey.

stennie said...

I prefer having something to blame my bitchiness on, at least for a couple of days a month.

PS: We're on the same cycle!