09 August 2005

Michelle's Cookbook Meme

Sorry, this took a little bit to get to, Michelle. I had to get to my actual home, so I could look this stuff up.

Total number of cookbooks I own: 8.
Last cookbook(s) I've bought:The last cookbook I bought was "Greatest Ever Indian: Easy and Delicious Step-by-Step Recipes" but I haven't actually used it.
Last (food) book(s) I read:I'm not sure what they mean by food book. I love the "taste" section of Italo Calvino's "Under the Jaguar Sun", but it's a short story and I don't know if that counts. I almost bought the novel "Sideways."
Five cookbooks that mean a lot to me: I only have 8 cookbooks, so I'm going to name three.

1. The Way of the Noodle. I got this book at wagamama noodle bar in Bloomsbury in London. I would go to this restaurant at least once a week to have a steaming bowl of ramen topped with beautiful fresh garnishes. I loved the juxtaposition of crunchy veggies, tender meat, chewy noodle and steamy warm broth. I had my first sake here. I still daydream about this restaurant. The cookbook also was my introduction to the movie "Tampopo," one of my favorite food movies.

2. Essentials of Cooking by James Peterson. This is not really a cookbook, but a heavily illustrated guide to cooking techniques. There are all sorts of little tips and tricks, and any time I've had a question about braising, poaching, cutting and deboning, I find my answer here. This book has seriously made me a better cook.


3. The One Pot Dinner by Hannah G. Scheel. I have never made anything in this book, but her prose made me laugh so hard I had to buy it. It was at a used bookstore, selling for $1. Originally, I see from the back cover, it was a free giveaway with a purchase of Lux dish soap. An example of her prose: "Culinarily speaking, the Danes are mostly known for their open-faced sandwiches and pastries --- which in Denmark are called, incidentally, Viennese pastries --- but they don't limit themselves to these items." OK, I guess you just had to be there.

Which people would you most like to see fill this out in their blog? I don't know very many people who read this blog that hasn't already done this. The last few are my boyfriend (who I know has something like four cookbooks, and I bought him three of those) and Tony. If anyone else is reading SHOW YOURSELVES.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cookbook thing? Yeah, maybe I could do that. Though probably not while at work, because I'm nowhere near the bookshelf.

And Tampopo was a trip.

Michelle said...

YAY! You did it! Now why do the Danes make Viennese pastries??

Lily said...

Because they don't have a word for "danish" in their vocabularly, silly.