08 October 2007

Heave ho!

My latest project in my own angst-filled life is what I am starting to call the Great Purge. I want to get rid of the clutter that has accumulated in the 13 years of my adult life. I also need to figure out why it accumulates in the first place, but no one wants to hear about that.

Paper: I hate shredding, and the loud noise and all the floaty bits of paper, so all those credit card offers and 15-year-old bank statements just keep piling up. Fortunately, I discovered that there are places that can take care of that for you (and yes, I called to make sure they still exist).

Random electronics: I have obsolete and broken appliances and electronics that seem to pile up. I have a radio/CD player/tape deck that I never use. (However, if I get rid of it, I have nothing to play the tapes I never play.) I use my boombox from high school more often because of its simplicity and its ability to get radio stations, but the tape deck on it is busted.

I have an upright vacuum cleaner that lets off some light smoke when operated. I need to get a new vacuum cleaner, and I'm a litte disturbed that someone who hates cleaning as much as I do will own three vacuum cleaners by the end of today. (Long, boring story and this post will already be too long.)

I have a bondi blue iMac. The iMac, historic and cute as it is, is going to the recycler as soon as I back up the data. The Palm Pilot has recently been gathering dust, but I am thinking of pressing the Palm Pilot back into service, because I am frightfully time disorganized as well.

Clothing: I am having trouble figuring out how someone who wears the same damn thing to work every day and hates to shop has accumulated so many clothes. I see a trip to Goodwill in my immediate future. I think it's because I've remained about the same size for a number of years (I'm not bragging about that --- that is starting to change in an upward, non-positive, direction recently, but that's for another post).

I have treated my clothes like I treat my vehicle --- I take care of it until it completely breaks down (I recently threw away a few go-to shirts that I've had since college and high school because of the fraying edges), but I guess I have to be a little more brutal about getting rid of clothing. It's just too bad that those hippie-skirts that I wore in high school are starting to come back into fashion....

I am actually a little disturbed about how all these little bits of things that impeded on the parts of my life that I enjoy more and find more important. I'm starting to throw a little money at the problem, as they say, so The Great Purge may also refer to the bank account.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Bravo, Nyss! When you're done, will you please come over and get rid of all of my obsolete stuff? Being a packrat is really hard work!

Anonymous said...

Re: the great purge. Hate to tell you, but it only gets worse. After 30+ years of marriage and 5 homes in four towns, I just had to do the great sweep-out AGAIN. The donation pile for the Goodwill was almost as large as my car. This, in spite of a concerted effort to clean out unnecessary stuff before every house move. I'm starting to suspect someone is packing this junk into my house by dead of night.

And by the way, I own 4 vacuum cleaners.