14 April 2003

finally, some non-blogging content
It rained and hailed but it turned out to be a great day for the little newsista. An eight-car pileup on the freeway during a hailstorm, and I drove out, stopped in the median and conducted a bunch of interviews on the little grassy strip before my notebook got too soaked to write in.
With a pencil. In the rain.

(I hear that for some newspapers in Alaska, vellum notebooks are standard issue. That could be bullshit, but I can see why you'd want them.)

The story ended up great, too, because while driving back, I found out the some streets in the little town where the pileup took place had standing water, and the town's fire department and about 800 other buildings had a blackout because of a storm. I thought a good "Fox News" take on the incident would have been like: "God took his revenge on [little town here]-- smiting motorists, throwing residents into darkness and sending a flood." Or I suppose to make it "fair and unbalanced" like we all know Fox is, I would have to put it: "It was as if God took his revenge...." But we refrained.

With all the other "newsy" frustrations at work, I need to take the little victories where I can.

No comments: