01 August 2003

rewrite theater: thanks for the memory
This week saw the passing of Bob Hope-- not really a surprise, but it seems like a different world now, nonetheless. Like a lot of people my age, when I think of him, the first thing that pops in my head isn't an everyman exchanging one-liners with Dorothy Lamour and Bing Crosby or seas of fresh-faced lads in uniform. When I think of Bob Hope, I think of a white-haired gentleman talk-singing through "Thanks for the Memory," along with someone else.

So, for this week's rewrite theater, you get to be that someone else. I'll start it off, to remind you of the rhyme scheme. Finish it off, take as long as you want, riff any way you can think of, and have fun:

BOB: Thanks for the memory
Of candlelight and wine, castles on the Rhine
The Parthenon and moments on the Hudson River Line
How lovely it was!
Thanks for the memory
Deadline is noon-30 Monday. Good luck!

(By the way, anyone else find it interesting that movie critic Vincent Canby, who died in 2000, got the byline on Hope's obit?)

No comments: