Somewhere in my move to my new job and new location, I lost my template for writing a public records request to public agencies in Washington state. I briefly contemplated requesting a public agency for one of my past ones -- which strive for a tone that combines an air of down-to-business and cheerfulness -- when I decided it would just be simpler to rewrite it from memory.
To spare any future writer from scratching his or her head wondering how to create a public records request, here is the sample:
Date
Address
To whom it may concern:
Pursuant to RCW 42.56, I request access to and a copy of the following public records:
- your record here
If you have any questions about this request, please feel free to contact me, your contact info here.
If you choose to deny this request, please provide a written explanation for the denial including a reference to the specific statutory exemption(s) upon which you rely. Also, please provide all segregable portions of otherwise exempt material.
If you do not maintain these public records, please let me know who does and include the proper custodian’s name and address.
I agree to pay any reasonable copying and postage fees of not more than $15. If the cost would be greater than this amount, please notify me. Please provide a receipt indicating the charges for each document.
Thank you for taking my request and for responding in the spirit of open and transparent government in Washington.
Sincerely,
Your Name
The parts in bold are the parts that you tailor to your own request. Please note: this template is for Washington state (RCW means Revised Code of Washington), so if you're in another state, or are seeking are federal records from Washington, D.C., seek guidance here.
Happy requesting!
Time to read
5 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment